Friday 21 May 2010

Playing with Fabrics



I then had a play with my fabrics. I laid a few of the earlier dyed pieces together and incorportated some strands of wool and other materials. I laid a piece of organza over the top and using my 'new toy', I stitched them all together with a plain straight stitch but in a very ramdom pattern as you can see from the black stitch lines!!!



I then took my heat tool and burnt away at the materials. Obviously I've just started out so am at the very early stages of learning which materials burn the best and which don't do anything!!! I managed to singe all around the edges of the brown piece of material. I was very pleased with the outcome being as it was my first try at anything like this. I also can't believe how much more control you have with a 'proper' sewing machine.

If you want to have a try at the above, just a tip, make sure that you are in a very well ventilated room as the smell is really over powering!!!!

6 comments:

Lulabelle said...

Great idea! Looks like fun. Can't wait to see what else you do with it!

Lynn

Zoechaos said...

Looks like you have been having a great time. good way to clear the head cold? LOL xxxZoe

Chris said...

Looks great, Sam. Love how your dyed fabrics turned out.

June said...

Good gracious you have been very busy, Love these pieces and especially the precious piece. great work my friend, not sure what heat tool you are using though ?
hugs June xx

LazyKay said...

That's a brill arty effect - what a good idea. You'll be able to do loads with it now.

xxxxxxxxxxx

crafty creations said...

A great piece of material collage Sam - just knew you'd love a proper sewing machine - love mine !!!

Blog Archive