Sunday 23 May 2010

Playing with Fabrics



I've been playing again today. I stamped an image with black stazon onto a piece of a cotton hankie which I'd previously dyed a yellowish colour. I used a dyed redish piece of cotton fabric for the base, added a dyed tumble dryer sheet and a piece of dyed tulle or netting to you and me. I added a piece of wool which I draped round the image in order to try and create a frame. I stitched all the fabrics together, as above.



Using my heat tool (the one with the nozzle, not the hair dryer type), I heated the various materials. The tumble dryer sheet and the netting melted quite nicely to reveal the image and some of the wool fibres.

15 comments:

Sid said...

Fantastic piece of heated and melted fabric, love your layers and collage effect ! Great Stuff.

Burnice said...

Blimey, well done Sam. That's so cool.
A few more squares like that and I'll make them into a quilt for you !!!!!
Burnice x

sam21ski said...

Thanks for the offer Burn but I'm hoping to be able to get that stage myself one day!!!!!

downrightcrafty said...

Wow what a lot of work has gone into this piece and the image looks ace within that frame, way out of my league with the stitching again, cool effect
Kate xx

Neet said...

Fab work Sam - you certainly are an all rounder.

Zoechaos said...

Very intersting getting wonderful depth and texture.

Heavenly Anarchist said...

Beautiful work, the layers look lovely together.

Deborah said...

Burning stuff's so cool (oops! I sound like Beavis and Butthead LOL). That frame is fab.

LazyKay said...

Lookin' good - seems you're turning into a real fabric fan for now.

xxxxxxx

Angelnorth said...

Your fabric experiments are looking great Sam, glad you're having fun with your new toy!

Lorraine said...

nice textures with the heat tool and sewing

Lindsay Weirich said...

cool fabric work, love the layers!

June said...

Sam I love how the heat tool finishes the pieces off they look fab
great work my friend,
hugs June x

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is way cool Sam! Is nothing safe from the heat gun in your house?! xx

Heavens2Betsy said...

Stunning! Love your great results. Penny

Blog Archive