Monday 9 September 2013

Hit the Book


Over at Anything But A Card this month they have a theme of 'hitting the books'.  So basically they are looking for anything to do with books, whether it be using the pages, altering a book or creating a book.  I decided to do the latter.


I created the front cover by spreading grunge paste over the chipboard and stamping into it to create the texture, for more info, see this video here.  Once completely dry I painted it with blood orange and French roast fresco paint.  I then used the negative of the umbrella man die, so it acted as a stencil, mixed black into some grunge paste and filled the gap.  As you can see I didn't smooth it off as I wanted texture.  This idea came from a challenge set by Arty Inklings.


Next I started to apply onyxite and ruby treasure gold to the cover to enhance the grunge paste texture.


And I added a few eyelets for decoration.


I used T!m's one the edge file die to create some dividers.  I embossed each one and coloured it with lumiere paints.


And the same with the backs.


This is the back cover, made exactly the same as the front minus the umbrella man.  I used the mini cogs to cover the holes of the book rings.


This is the inside of the book, once put together and stood up.  I just need to cut some paper to put between each divider, but I wanted to get a photo before it rained!!


This is the front of the book with the book rings and chain added.

I'm also entering into Altered Eclectics as they have an anything goes theme.

Simon Says Stamp Monday have a challenge of embossed, so I'm entering over there too!!


20 comments:

Julie Lee said...

Really like what you've done here with the chain and so on! This looks great with the dividers too! Julie Ann x

chrissie said...

Fantastic book Sam--it looks like real metal. Off to look at the video to see how you did it

Love Chrissie x

massofhair said...

Nicely done Sam, beautiful work:-)

Helen said...

Just gorgeous, Sam!

Deborah said...

Looks brilliant, Sam, and will look even more brilliant filled with arty pages.

BTW I know the shapes on my blog are tulips (another favourite) and not poppy heads :-) They don't have a poppy cut out shape in PSE. Hmm maybe I ought to create one...

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

Love that you needed a photo before it rained Sam given your focal point.
The textures you have achieved on your book are wonderful and I can only imagine how rich it is IRL.
Thank you for joining us at Anything But A Card this challenge.

Words and Pictures said...

Fantastically grungy look to the cover, and I love those metallic dividers - it's just brilliant, Sam!
Alison x

Lin said...

Oh Sam is that a book lol!!! Looks great...love all that embossing :) wonder if we'll ever get you doing an altered book????

Sid said...

Lovely metallic finish !!

Paula Whittaker said...

Fab looking book with lots of lovely texture.

downrightcrafty said...

how gorgeous great design love it
Hugs Kate xx

Marianne said...

This is absolute brilliant Sam!! How lovely this book is and I love this metal look. Fabulous! xxx Marianne

Alison said...

Fabulous texture! xxx

Vickie Y said...

WOW! I love every element you created for your book, especially the cover with Umbrella Man! Thank you for playing along with us at Altered Eclectics September Challenge.

craftimamma said...

Love it Sam! The metallic look is fabulous as is all the texture. Good luck with the challenges as it's a great idea.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Anonymous said...

Wow, so gorgeous!!

Michelle said...

What an amazing little book! I adore the various textures. You're pretty awesome with that grunge paste! Thank you for joining us this week for the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge. ~Michelle

hazel said...

A brilliant book Sam, I love all the textures.
xxx Hazel.

Sue said...

This is fabby Sam, I really like how you've added the chain to the front xx

silvergran said...

Very cool! Like the mini cogs to cover/strengthen holes!

Blog Archive